Baby, baby steps towards stitching ambitions right now and keeping the love of fabric and fabric combinations (one day!). Oh and a really easy castle pop-up with a small person, dragons being the thing …
4 out of 5 dentists recommend this WordPress.com site
Our snow and keeping cosy days coincided with a resurgence of interest in dinosaurs which are much better than name-of-any-computer-game and name-of-any-lego-series. As usual, pinterest is king and we managed to adapt a clever template for a folded, stand up dino, generic meateater, for more obscure faves; sinornithosaurus (feathered and poisonous no less) and the bristly pterodaustro. The template works with two lines of symmetry; one for the head (the dotted line is where you cut, the continuous where you fold the head around the body), and one down the spine. What becomes the base, the lines extending from the right angle at the bottom of the template, have to be long enough to balance the model and the tail can be long or short to suit. As long as the straight lines and angles are correct, any design can be worked around these. We also made ice ‘eggs’ for sensory play, which were lovely in the bath (just stretch the neck of the balloon to put a wee dinosaur inside, fill with water and freeze, then peel away the balloon once frozen).
So long snow …x
These are lightly quilted potholders using vintage remnants, trying out two colour palettes. Husband suspects these of being useless items, however I like working with the contained space and feel happy whenever I look at fabrics I like, so like to have them hanging in the kitchen.
Also a padded stocking for my lovely, little niece, Anna.
And so to Halloween… Medium child is obsessed by all things Potter and was very motivated to make a Gryffindor scarf and we based one roughly around this kind of thing. We used ten, 15cm rectangles in alternating colours for each of front and back, sewn together, seams pressed out with care because of the fleece, front and back sewn together, turned through, and ends folded inside and zigzagged.
While I did the sewing together of front and back as handling of the vertical seams is needed and there is a lot of length, sewing together the rectangles was a perfect job for a child, with just a little bit of support with forward and back and keeping everything straight as you run out of fabric. I found it helped to put a piece of of masking tape on the plate as a guide (to where the edge of the fabric should line up) as the seam guide on the machine is not easy to read for a little ‘un.
Speaking of Potter, we also tried making wands using this tutorial, made from rolled paper and a hot glue gun to dribble on the detail, so fun but too hot for wee ones to do by themselves. Layers of paint and varnish (PVA plus a little water) create the effect of age while they would, handily, be unlikely to take out anyone’s eye during excitable spell-casting.
Happy Halloween x
Brrr, chilly. Pinafore with no fastenings and frilly hem; it just ties on the shoulder. Wee Alice chose the fabric for herself and chose well. The pattern is by Whimsy Couture. I might try adapting the shape and fabric next time. Meantime I’m trying one from a men’s shirt so with the buttons running down the front.
Summer 2017 (but posted a teensy bit late)
& more knot bags made with Harris tweed and some lovely and very old upholstery fabric remnants, passed on by the mother-in-law of a lovely friend. Details and links on how to construct were given on a previous blog post.
I still haven’t made that Japanese apron, but working again on little girls’ pinafores, which I love.